Capability of this setup

For any technical or bow tuning related queries and information.....

Moderators: Jakkas, Guardian, hawkster, Gerhard, Ranger, jcdup, James

Re: Capability of this setup

Postby Volmaan » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:46 am

MrBallistic wrote:You answered mine, Thanks

:thumb:
Bowtech Reign 7,70lbs
Hoyt Carbon Defiant Turbo 70lbs
Volmaan
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Postby Guardian » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:03 am

Thanks to Hanes' innocent question starting this thread, I think we had a very lively and informative conversation on a sensitive subject.
To be honest, I have a lot of respect for you all who contributed in a civilized manner without getting into mud slinging or getting temperatures flaring. We are all adults and we all have opinions, that's life. I've seen ugly fights in the past.

Hopefully some newcomers to bowhunting will read through this thread and note all the different opinions and get an educated idea of what can work and what the feelings are about the subject. And then make their own decisions.
Bowtech Reign 6 & Experience
600gn arrows
Guardian
Major General (Moderator)
Major General (Moderator)

Postby Volmaan » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:11 am

Guardian wrote:Thanks to Hanes' innocent question starting this thread, I think we had a very lively and informative conversation on a sensitive subject.
To be honest, I have a lot of respect for you all who contributed in a civilized manner without getting into mud slinging or getting temperatures flaring. We are all adults and we all have opinions, that's life. I've seen ugly fights in the past.

Hopefully some newcomers to bowhunting will read through this thread and note all the different opinions and get an educated idea of what can work and what the feelings are about the subject. And then make their own decisions.

Good summation thank you Guardian.

At the end of the day no one learns from only one person and everyone has to make the final decision for him or herself after doing their own research where this forum can help a lot.

Now where is the cold beer Bernhardt was talking about?
Bowtech Reign 7,70lbs
Volmaan
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Postby Bernhardt » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:53 am

Volmaan wrote:Now where is the cold beer Bernhardt was talking about?

Jy moes maar kom field skiet het die naweek, daar was n goeie paar koues wat mooi geloop het.

Ek moet se, tussen field shoots en SABA leer mens baie van form en dink ek sal moeilike skote in jag nie meer gesien word as so moeilik nie. Die naweek was mens goed gechallenge met moeilike staan posisies en baie op en af skiet! Maar dit was baie lekker!!

Ek sal voorstel dat meeste jong jagters n paar van die kompetisies skiet en hulle styl toets
Hunting:
MONSTER MR7 @ 78# and 28.5"
Boss Hog sight 5 pin
NAP Apache rest
GoldTip Kinetic 200 @ 540gr
Rage Hypodermic, SlickTricks, Nitron, Stinger buzzcut & Killzone

Field:
Bowtech Boss @ 60#
Spot Hog Real deal 5 pin
NAP Nighthawk rest
CC Nightmare 350 @ 400gr
Bernhardt
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Postby MrBallistic » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:39 pm

Guardian wrote:Thanks to Hanes' innocent question starting this thread, I think we had a very lively and informative conversation on a sensitive subject.

I don't think anyone has really climbed into someone else's character or had a bar brawl about it. :rofl:
Unfortunately words on a screen have no tone and can be interpreted differently by everyone, banter is part of the game. It happens at hunts, comps and shooting with friends and family.
MATHEWS HALON X COMP
MATHEWS HALON X PRO
MATHEWS Z7 MAGNUM
I shoot because I can, I want to and I enjoy therefore I continue shooting!!!!
MrBallistic
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Postby Volmaan » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:14 pm

Bernhardt wrote:
Volmaan wrote:Prepare for the worst,hope for the best.

Louwrens, it is that comment that makes me wonder, what if an army tank drives infront of the impala at the time of the shot??

Maybe Philip should post that video link again of the 1000gr arrows that goes through the mountain, and then we debate if the 1000gr will go through the tank :rofl:

:rofl:
Bowtech Reign 7,70lbs
Volmaan
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Postby Hanes » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:26 pm

Some feedback. Archers Edge recommend a 400-420gr arrow for my setup. With a fixed or Rage HYPODERMIC +P model . They said the 2" sold to me may give issues penetrating on larger game.
Now here comes the killer part. As the guy advising me walks away, 2 customers came and told me to rather look at a 450gr to 500gr for my setup. They gave their list of animals killed etc. haha talk about a confusing situation! :rofl:
Hanes
Private
Private

Postby Eraser » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:44 pm

Hannes, best will be to weigh your current arrows and shoot it through a crony to determine velocity. That way we know what you have.

Looking at SABA guidelines for BWB you require an arrow at least 400gr with KE = 50ft-pd and momentum of 0.42 slugs. To get to that values the arrow has to travel at about 238ft/s
We managed a 401gr arrow @ 240f/s for my son's setup. I were very skeptical as I also thought 450gr-500gr.
Well, my son shot his Kudu and at 23 yards he got total pass-through.

:twisted: :twisted:
The Buck stops here!

2014 Bowtech Insanity CPXL 80# @ 70# 32" DL
Vapor Trail Pro V
Carbon Core Stalker 250 (568gn 15% FOC) @ 280f/s
KE 98.8ft-lb
Mom. 0.706 slugs
Eraser
Captain
Captain

Previous

Return to Bow Tuning and Technical Talk