Is there a difference?

Post some tips on processing of meat and also tricks on skinning certain animals.

Moderators: Jakkas, Guardian, hawkster, Gerhard, jcdup, James

Is there a difference?

Postby Ryan » Wed May 17, 2017 7:30 am

Hi guys this might be a stupid question but it's one I can't figure out. Is there a difference in taste/quality between animals hunted with a bow as apposed to with a rifle? Thanks.
Ryan
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Is there a difference?

Postby Dimitri » Wed May 17, 2017 9:04 am

All else being equal I don't believe there is any difference in the taste whether you use a rifle or bow.

However, the ability to take brain and neck shots with a rifle will provide some advantage for rifle hunters i.t.o. quality of meat, in my opinion. I believe that if the animal is unaware of you or is not stressed by your presence and you subsequently kill it with a brain/neck shot, the quality of your meat will be better. The animal dies immediately and there are no stress-related chemicals involved. I believe that the adrenalin and or other chemicals that enter the bloodstream when the animal is stressed will change the quality of the meat slightly in a negative way. Just my opinion.
Dimitri
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Ryan » Wed May 17, 2017 9:22 am

Thanks.
Ryan
Private First Class
Private First Class

Postby Egbie Compion » Wed May 17, 2017 2:15 pm

I have found that the meat from a bow hunt, especially out of the hide, usually tastes better.
I believe this to be due to the fact that rifle hunts are usually from a walk and stalk situation, where the animals are spooked a couple of times and running away, before finally getting shot. This adrenaline? rush causes the meat to taste more wild and also tougher.
I might be wrong, but that's my 50c worth.
Egbie
Mathews Drenalin 70#
29 Inch draw
Carbon Express Pile Driver small diameter 520gr
G5 T3 mechanical broadheads.
Egbie Compion
Corporal
Corporal

Postby Ryan » Wed May 17, 2017 3:06 pm

That's very interesting.
Ryan
Private First Class
Private First Class

Postby Dimitri » Wed May 17, 2017 3:24 pm

Egbie Compion wrote:I have found that the meat from a bow hunt, especially out of the hide, usually tastes better.
I believe this to be due to the fact that rifle hunts are usually from a walk and stalk situation, where the animals are spooked a couple of times and running away, before finally getting shot. This adrenaline? rush causes the meat to taste more wild and also tougher.
I might be wrong, but that's my 50c worth.

If one works on "all else being equal" and simply replaces the bow with a rifle (or vice versa) in any given situation, one is likely to get a more accurate assessment.

In any situation where the animal has been shot while spooked/stressed, the meat may possibly be, as you say, "more wild and also tougher". This is true whether the hunter happened to be using a bow or rifle. Some bakkie "hunts" where the animals are chased around the farm until finally being shot are typical. That the animal was stressed at the time of being shot remains the main factor in meat quality and not that the weapon happened to be a rifle.

Conversely, in any situation where the animal is calm and relaxed at the time of being shot - regardless of whether at the hide / in the bush / on a walk and stalk / voorsit / whatever, - the main factor, again, is that the animal is NOT stressed rather than what it was shot with.
Dimitri
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Egbie Compion » Wed May 17, 2017 9:36 pm

I think we agree Dimitri. I just mentioned that most rifle hunts are done on foot, where the chances of the animals being spooked/stressed are greater, whereas the most bowhunts are typically out of a hide, where the animals are feeding or drinking an thus not as stressed. I agree that the killing method does not really affect the meat, but more what happens before the kill.
Egbie
Mathews Drenalin 70#
29 Inch draw
Carbon Express Pile Driver small diameter 520gr
G5 T3 mechanical broadheads.
Egbie Compion
Corporal
Corporal

Postby Ryan » Thu May 18, 2017 7:21 am

Thanks for all the info you guys have given. It all helps a lot.
Ryan
Private First Class
Private First Class

Return to Meat Processing