Hoe lank moet die vleis hang?

Post some tips on processing of meat and also tricks on skinning certain animals.

Moderators: Jakkas, Guardian, hawkster, Gerhard, jcdup, James

Hoe lank moet die vleis hang?

Postby kingcanfly001 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:36 pm

I read a couple of threads where the guys suggest hanging meat for a while before processing. Would the meat be hung in the freezer? A colleague of mine suggested hanging the gutted carcass outdoors for a couple of hours before skinning and putting in the fridge.

What have your experiences been? What advice could you give? Does hanging time/place differ per species?
Fear, especially of the unknown, and hatred are things I would rather live without.
kingcanfly001
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Hoe lank moet die vleis hang?

Postby Eraser » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:52 pm

What I have read is that you hang it for about 5 days @ 4 deg. Celsius.....

If I may add a second question to those that is in the know....... What will the effect be if any if you transport your carcass in the back of your bakkie from the cold room at the farm to your butcher, let's say six hour travel?
The Buck stops here!

2014 Bowtech Insanity CPXL 80# @ 70# 32" DL
Vapor Trail Pro V
Carbon Core Stalker 250 (568gn 15% FOC) @ 280f/s
KE 98.8ft-lb
Mom. 0.706 slugs
Eraser
Captain
Captain

Postby Thunderhead » Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:47 pm

To be able to enjou good venison hanging it in a coldroom is a must. The vital part is to get the meat down to the bone cold as quick as possible. On smaller game that is easy but on large game often I will disect the hindquaters to facilitate quicker cooling.Ideally you want to hang it in a cold room at under 10 degrees. I use the 40 rule. 10 degrees for 4 days or 4 degrees for 10 days. I have hung game for a day or two with no cooling facilities but in deep shade with shade cloth surrounding it so flies cant get to it but cool breeze can. I like to keep thr skin on because it keeps the moisure in so the meat does not dry out. Just ensure you clean the wounds and cavity are spotless. Rather remove skin if the wounds are not clean.We once hung springbuck for a full week in a cool storeroom in the dead of winter in Namibia and still travelled back 1500kms without any loss.
Hanging the carcass facilitates drainage of blood which if the animal lay in a freezer will pool at the lowest point.
If you are travelling back with game try travel in the coolest part of the day. Dont place the meat on the loadbed where the exhaust heats it up. Rather place something under to insulate it . I always pack the cold meat as tight together aspossible and wrap it in seil or cloth to help keep the cold in.
Thunderhead
Corporal
Corporal

Postby BeesBreet » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:53 pm

I hang sheep or beef for at least 10 days skin off at about 3 or 4 degrees. Venison does not have the fat to protect the meat, so if I can 10 days skin on. If no skin then nothing less than 4 days. In a coldroom not freezer This is for cooking. If you are going to process the meat to biltong or drywors, then there is no need, just hang the carcass for couple of hours in order to bleed properly. I wrap carcass in old duvet covers and then drive, no problems...
BeesBreet
Recruit
Recruit

Postby kingcanfly001 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:48 am

Thanks very much folks. Will be hanging in future for muuuuuch longer!

Is there a practical "cool room for the garage" out there? I have seen companies selling small cool rooms but maybe you guys have some advice? I am sure also that my butcher would be able to hang it. But this way I know what is happening with my meat.
Fear, especially of the unknown, and hatred are things I would rather live without.
kingcanfly001
Private First Class
Private First Class

Postby Big D » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:47 pm

kingcanfly001 wrote:Thanks very much folks. Will be hanging in future for muuuuuch longer!

Is there a practical "cool room for the garage" out there? I have seen companies selling small cool rooms but maybe you guys have some advice? I am sure also that my butcher would be able to hang it. But this way I know what is happening with my meat.

Wil ek ook graag weet!
"Calm your heart, slow your breathing and deal with what is in front of you"
Big D
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby fujimo » Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:31 pm

easy to build a cold room- with a 2x4 wall- insulated- covered with plywood both sides, and plastic vapour barrier under the plywood on the inside. well painted wood on the inside with suitable paint. then cool with a small "window install airconditioner", not the most efficient for steady use all year round for a commercial set up. and they like to hose the insides down, but for your own use a few times a year- it works really well.
and if space is an issue- the four walls and roof can be made to easily come apart in panels- and store flat somewhere.
good luck!
fujimo
Private
Private

Postby AgroDuck » Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:51 pm

Op die plaas - haal kop, pote en binne goed uit, maar vel aan. was die karkas mooi skoon en hang in die plaas se koelkamer
Op die pad - kry een van blou/groen seile by Builders, lê hom eers in die bak met koel karkaste dan op dit. Vou toe, maak die canopy toe. Dan ry jy gemaklik 5-6 ure.
By die huis - karkas met vel aan hang in die koelkamer vir die beter part van 2 weke. Haal vel af die dag voor jy wil verwerk.

Op hierdie manier is die eind produk baie sagte vleis vergelykend met winkel vleis net sonder die onnodige vet.
Kuiermense sal nie glo dit is wildvleis wat van die vuur af kom nie.
AgroDuck
Private
Private

Postby fujimo » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:13 am

x2
fujimo
Private
Private

Postby Roger » Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:32 am

Ek verkies 5-7 dae