Dry aging VS Wet aging

Post some tips on processing of meat and also tricks on skinning certain animals.

Moderators: Jakkas, Guardian, hawkster, Gerhard, jcdup, James

Dry aging VS Wet aging

Postby johanj » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:38 am

After my Koedoe hunt I ended up with a quite a few really great humps of fillet all neatly vacuum packed. In my haste to tase the I open one immediately and cut it into nice steaks and put them on the braai. Needless to say they were fairly tough. Only then did I find out I have to age them in the fridge for 7 - 10 days to get nice and tender.

I then left one still in the vacuum pack in the fridge for 9 days and it was absolutely fantastic, my conclusion was that the vacuum packed "wet aging" process worked.

Another one of similar size I opened up and left on a plate in the fride for 8 days. It was considerably smaller at the end of the process as it shrunk almost just like biltong. The outer layer was also hard like biltong but this I cut off.

The end product of this "dry aging" was just over half the amount than the wet aging but the taste was very concentrated, the meat was extremely soft and tender and it was a fantastic steak.

My question now is how do the meat places like Butchers Grill dry age the meat without losing so much of the volume? Also, how long should one dry age the meat as opposed to wet aging the meat? And why did such a thick biltong like skin form on the exposed area of the meat?
Always strive for Quality-of-Life....
Hoyt Alphamax 35 - 70# - 31"DL
Hoyt Alpha Elite - 60# - 30"DL
johanj
Captain
Captain

Postby gary graham » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:59 pm

hi there
try calling the local grill in Parktown north the owner is Steven and he serves the best wet and dry steaks I have ever tasted beef that is
Gary
gary graham
Corporal
Corporal

Return to Meat Processing