Two nice bucks

For all our fellow bowhunting friends across the oceans.....(English only)

Moderators: Jakkas, Guardian, hawkster, Gerhard, Ranger, jcdup, James, timspawn

Two nice bucks

Postby timspawn » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:50 pm

I had one hell of a day on Sunday Oct 30th. I shot the two best deer of my life. One in the morning and one in the evening. I wish they were bow kills but I am still very proud.

Mathews Z7
Easton Axis FMJ Dangerous Game
Montec 125grn
timspawn
Major General (Moderator)

Postby jcdup » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:56 am

Very nice Tim. Congratulations.
~
In the end time will tell...
jcdup
Lieutenant General (Super Mod)
Lieutenant General (Super Mod)

Postby SV MAD » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:21 am

Excellent Tim, congrats. thanks for sharing the pics. Tell a bit more about the hunts please.
Elite Energy 35
80lb, 28.5DL.
Arrows: CE CXL 350 300fps (ABO), CE Piledriver 300 550gr (jag)

Hoyt Vantage Elite Plus
53lb, 28DL
Easton Eclipse X7 (Indoor)
SV MAD
Captain
Captain

Postby Big D » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:09 am

Well done, congrats Tim!! :first:
"Calm your heart, slow your breathing and deal with what is in front of you"
Big D
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Nitram » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:51 am

Well done, 2 fine animals there! :D
Hoyt Alphamax 35, 29.5", 54#, Blackhawk Vapor 348grn, 270fps - Doinker, Sureloc, Tru-Ball
Hoyt Turbohawk, 30", 70#, Easton Axis Realtree 558grn, 260fps - Sims, Spot Hogg, Scott
Striving for excellence motivates you; striving for perfection is demoralizing. ~Harriet Braiker~
Nitram
Corporal
Corporal

Postby Vaughn » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:49 am

Excellent !!!! Well done, please tell us a bit more, by the way what rifle is that?
"Blessed are the cracked, for they let in the light"
Vaughn
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Postby timspawn » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:21 pm

This was my first real hunt on this new property. It is located in Georgia and is an eight hour drive from my house. I hunted saturday night and only saw four does. Sunday morning was good and cold. About 40 degrees. It was about an hour after the sun had been up long enough to see that I caught movement to my left. My stand is at the intersection of two roads. I set it up so I could look down both roads. This land is used for timber so it is all wooded. The only places to hunt are the roads the hardwood bottoms which are almost never cut because those trees prevent erosion and are many times growing along streams and creeks. Pine trees are grown on the higher land. They are normally very thick and tough to see into. So I catch movement to my left. I lifted my rifle to look through the scope (forgot my binos). I saw antlers right away. The buck was eating grass in the road but only his head and neck were showing. He tortured me for what seemed like hours before he stepped into the road. I told myself i was only going to shoot mature bucks on this property. Once I got a good look at his neck and body I could tell he was an older deer. I put the crosshairs on his shoulder and made the shot. I heard the bullet impact and by his reaction I could tell it was a good hit. Right away my wife who was hunting a half mile away texts me and wants to know "was that you?" I waited about thirty minutes before I went to check for blood. I couldnt find anything. I saw in the dirt where he took off at the shot but there was no blood. My wife calls me and asks how its going and I say not well. She says come and get me and I will help you look. So I drive to get her and we get back to where the deer was standing when I shot. I show her where he was and which way he ran. Now keep in mind I looked for ten minutes before I went to get her. She takes about two steps and says "heres blood all over the place". Sure enough there was. I was sure the deer ran to his right at the shot. He had actually turned just to his left. I had been looking ten feet in the wrong direction. Just goes to show what another set of eyes will do for you. He was dead within fifty yards.
Mathews Z7
Montec 125grn
timspawn

Postby timspawn » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:58 pm

The second deer has a much less sexy story. I dropped my wife off at her stand and drove towards mine. I went to a stand I hadnt hunted before. By the time I walked to the stand and climbed the ladder I had sweat pouring off of me. I set my phone and flashlight down next to me. Unzipped my jacket some to let the heat out and texted my wife to let her know I was safely in my stand. I had not been there five minutes when I heard a noise in the woods. I looked up and saw movement. I am thinking to myself there is no way this is a deer, I just sat down. Well sure enough it was a deer and a buck to boot. He made it 3/4 of the way across the road and stopped. At the shot he flipped over backwards and never moved again. I had just killed my second eight of the day..the two best deer of my life and I had killed them with the Ruger #1 6.5x55 my wife had given me.
Mathews Z7
Montec 125grn
timspawn

Postby Dan » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:17 am

Great stuff Tim. Congrats on two very nice buck.
Thanks for sharing with us.
Now you have a new target for getting at least one bigger with a bow.
Shoot to kill - Clean and quick!

Ross Cardiac
30"
80 pounds
Old but good!!
Dan
Corporal
Corporal

Return to International Corner