My 2015 Wisconin Bowhunting journal

For all our fellow bowhunting friends across the oceans.....(English only)

Moderators: Jakkas, Guardian, hawkster, Gerhard, Ranger, jcdup, James, timspawn

My 2015 Wisconin Bowhunting journal

Postby DIYguy » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:26 pm

Sat. Sept. 12 2015

I drove up state on Friday night to get ready for Saturday morning's opener. The forecast for opening morning was lows 40's and no winds. (I like a little wind).

Rise and no shine was at 4:45 am. I could see my breath. Based on my goal of testing out the new rig on the first deer to cross my path and based on the fact that the trail cam card being full at the site where an apple tree stands 10 yards from an Oak raining down acorns on the edge of a corn field, I headed for that stand. The woods breaks downward pretty quick from the edge of the field. Even though Im in a 15 foot ladder stand, a few feet from the stand Its more like being 20 feet up. Here is a brief video of my view from the stand I took shortly after sunup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDqVx7IBUcc

I wasnt in the stand long before the first acorn hit me in the head. There was a constant shower of acorns. I recent started wearing hearing aids. I cant believe all the sounds I was missing. It was great to hear everything again. The acorns, the crows, the small rodents feasting on the nuts, the geese and cows in the distance. It was pretty sweet.

It was still too dark to shoot when the new hearing aids picks up the distinct cruncha-cruncha-cruncha of a deer walking through oak leaves. Below me was a lone deer looking for a morning snack. I watched (and heard) the doe crunching acorns like they were going out of style. She was like a vacuum cleaner. I would have thought the apples would have been better but Im not a deer. After 15 minutes and no other deer showing up and more than enough daylight I clipped on and got ready. By now the deer was directly beneath me and slightly quartering away.

Bend at the waist, Draw, kisser in the corner of the mouth, nose on the string, line up the peep and since the deer in only 6 feet from the base of the tree, I place the 20 yard pin on the horizon line of the deer's side just behind the near side front leg hoping to exit the the far side leg. Finger on the release and squeeze. As expected, the lighted nock disappeared just above where I aimed, through the loin and through the off side leg.

Ive never heard this sound from a deer before but on impact, it woofed like a bear that gets hit with an arrow. It was a barking woof and and a mule kick and then it was off to the races and straight into the corn field. The doe ran straight down a row that allowed me to watch the entire departure. It lasted less than 10 seconds. The rear legs kept getting wider and wider apart and then the crash and all was quiet.

I sat in the ladder and enjoyed the sights and sounds and the sunrise. After 10 minutes I pulled out the camera and shot the video you just watched above. Then I shot this video as I killed time before climbing down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SR57P9ngiuk

I climbed down to inspect the arrow and even though I knew where the doe laid, I still tracked her. The corn made the blood show up pretty well.

The far side leg.

After testing out the new over-the-phone deer registration (which is sweet) It was time to skin and get on ice. Through the near side loin and out the far side leg.

I put up another stand in a location that I will use later in the season and then headed back to the apple tree for the afternoon hunt looking for another doe. They showed up but were skittish (probably doe to my taking a deer there in the morning.

A doe and two spotted fawns showed up. A few other loan does came in but did not present a shot opportunity.

Here is a video of some of the deer that showed up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mm5OsFhqvnA

On Sunday morning I sat in a different location about 300 yards from the apple tree. The first deer to show up was a small spike. He got a pass. Then the doe with the spotted fawns came by. No shots were taken. Then it was time to butcher and fry it up with veggies from the garden. All in all it was a good opening weekend.

DIYguy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: My 2015 Wisconin Bowhunting journal

Postby DIYguy » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:27 pm

Friday Sept. 18, 2015

I drove up state early Friday for weekend 2 of the archery deer season. The plan was to sit the apple tree stand Friday afternoon. Here is a brief video for Friday afternoon, Sat morning and Saturday Afternoon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WLs0YxBiFE

Then its onto Sunday morning. Here is the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vh9lLtLW_c4

25 minutes after sending an arrow though the quartering away doe, I climb down to collect my arrow.

The flow is strong right from the start.

The last stand before the wobble only 50 yards from where it began.

Entrance. Back of the scapula

Exit, Right above the elbow and through the top of the heart and both lungs.

A very bloody nose.

Total run time from arrow impact to the crash was about 8 seconds. Two sits over the weekend had deer bedding under my stand. All were down wind of my location. The buck bedded with his rear facing the wind. The two does bedded facing into the wind. Having deer bed so close and staying so long is a bit more exhausting than when no deer are present. You cant get away with much but they will alert you to everything going on if you watch them and their ears. Also when one deer sneezes, the other deer freaks out. LOL

Two weekends of the season complete and two deer in the freezer.
DIYguy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Postby DIYguy » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:44 pm

Im loving these slick tricks. They are robust. Ive shot two does with the same head. They resharpen easy. I used my 3D printer to create a honing guide/jig. Here are some pics of an out-of-the-package blade and one I resharpened.

Out-of-package blade

Twice used blade (still has a bit of dried blood on it) after resharpening.

New blade

Resharpened blade after killing two deer

New blade

After resharpening

Ready for deer #3

A short video of the two blades side by side.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jITxFvz ... e=youtu.be
DIYguy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Postby SV MAD » Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:20 am

Congrats.
Yes, Slick Tricks are awesome!
Elite Energy 35
80lb, 28.5DL.
Arrows: CE CXL 350 300fps (ABO), CE Piledriver 300 550gr (jag)

Hoyt Vantage Elite Plus
53lb, 28DL
Easton Eclipse X7 (Indoor)
SV MAD
Captain
Captain

Postby jcdup » Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:52 pm

Great detailed post

Thanks!
~
In the end time will tell...
jcdup
Lieutenant General (Super Mod)
Lieutenant General (Super Mod)

Postby Big D » Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:06 pm

Well done, and congrats!! Thanks for sharing! :thumb:
"Calm your heart, slow your breathing and deal with what is in front of you"
Big D
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby snowbeast » Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:24 pm

Thanks for sharing. Would love to see the honing device you printed
2010 Hoyt Turbo Hawk
Johannes Schabbort Longbow 45@29
snowbeast
Private First Class
Private First Class

Postby DIYguy » Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:21 pm

snowbeast wrote:Thanks for sharing. Would love to see the honing device you printed

Im actually thinking about Bringing the product to market. Im setting up a website, facebook page, paypal account, etc. Im printing up an inventory of the 2 designs so that when I go live I dont run out of product.
DIYguy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Postby DIYguy » Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:35 pm

A weekend of rain and a family wedding meant I could only hunt Sunday morning. Here are some videos of that morning sit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lHdc1L8xJY

I saw this youngling walking down into a bedding area and used the small can call . He came running to me from 80 yards out. He got a free pass so he can get a few more years under his belt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2OPjbEvmuk
DIYguy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Postby Big D » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:50 am

Thanks for this DIY!!! I am stuck in my office, and you send us video footage of you in your stand. Not cool man, not cool!! Just kidding, keep 'em coming please :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Big D
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby DIYguy » Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:45 pm

I took a few weeks of vacation to do some rut bowhunting. I saw a lot of deer and passed a many bucks and does. It was an enjoyable time. Towards the tail end of the trip the farmer who land I hunt said he wanted a deer and if I had the chance to shoot one for him I should.

The final hunt for me was the morning of Nov. 11. At 8:30 in the morning I shot a buck with my slick trick magnum broadhead. Im only shooting 57 pounds and the buck was 30 yards away and 30 feet below me. The arrow entered as shown below.

I didnt notice a hole in the hide on the far side and the arrow broke on impact or when the deer moved both legs. It broke about 4 inches from the insert. The buck expired quickly due to both lungs being perforated. Then I deboned the deer and found the slick trick and arrow.

The broadhead smashed the far side leg bone right above the elbow. The broadhead was in great shape. The blades were not really that dull.

A little time spent with the Stay Sharp sharpener and its ready to kill another deer. This is the third deer I killed this year with the slick trick magnum. Im pleased with the price, the flight, The damage they do and the durability.

Now I will return this deer, cut and wrapped to the farmer.
DIYguy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Postby Woerman » Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:12 pm

Well done!
Gaan groot
Woerman
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Postby DIYguy » Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:01 pm

I have the deer processed and this year I opted to pre-make the bacon wrapped loins. IN the past I would freeze loins whole by wrapping with cling wrap and then paper and then thaw and wrap with bacon before cooking. This year I decided to pre-wrap them and use vacuum sealer bags instead. I wrapped them and froze them before using the sealer so they would hold their shape under the rigors of the vacuum. Now it’s just thaw and cook.

DIYguy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Postby DIYguy » Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:25 pm

To cook these, allow them to get to room temperature (never cook cold meat)

1. Preheat your oven to 425 F
2. Melt butter in a cast iron skillet (or use olive oil). Get the pan very hot but down brown or burn the butter.
3. Sprinkle the meat with salt and pepper (other whatever you like)
4. Sear both sides in the butter. 2 minutes on each side.
5. Place fillets in baking safe dish and place in 425 F oven for 5 to 7 minutes.
6. After 5 to 7 minutes, check internal temp of the meat (with a probe) for doneness. Rare meat is 120–125 degrees, medium is 140–150 degrees.
7. Remove from oven, wrap in foil and let rest for no less than 5 minutes. Save the juices in the pan.
8. Serve and pour juices from pan over the meat.
9. Remember the hunt where you took this deer as you enjoy it.
DIYguy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Postby Big D » Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:27 pm

DIYguy wrote:To cook these, allow them to get to room temperature (never cook cold meat)

1. Preheat your oven to 425 F
2. Melt butter in a cast iron skillet (or use olive oil). Get the pan very hot but down brown or burn the butter.
3. Sprinkle the meat with salt and pepper (other whatever you like)
4. Sear both sides in the butter. 2 minutes on each side.
5. Place fillets in baking safe dish and place in 425 F oven for 5 to 7 minutes.
6. After 5 to 7 minutes, check internal temp of the meat (with a probe) for doneness. Rare meat is 120–125 degrees, medium is 140–150 degrees.
7. Remove from oven, wrap in foil and let rest for no less than 5 minutes. Save the juices in the pan.
8. Serve and pour juices from pan over the meat.
9. Remember the hunt where you took this deer as you enjoy it.

Sounds fantastic!! Come to think of it, I might still have some Bluewildbeest floating around the freezer!
Big D
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Next

Return to International Corner